A forest history tour through the St. Williams Conservation Reserve and Backus Woods.
The St. Williams Forest Station was established in 1908 to grow tree seedlings for reforestation purposes and to stop the encroaching blow sands by growing permanent forests. The Turkey Point Forest Station was started in 1927 to grow permanent forest cover on the Charlotteville blow sands. Backus Woods is a spectacular older-growth forest, one of the best remaining examples of Carolinian forest in Canada.
Registration is required. Cost is $40 for members and Norfolk County residents, $60 for non-members and $20 for students, and fees are payable by e-transfer or cheque to Forest History Ontario. Lunch will be provided. Please indicate any dietary needs.
Please register by June 2. Fees are non-refundable after this date but can be substituted. Participants must be able to walk up to 20 minutes a few times, on imperfect forest trails. We will travel by school bus, seats are limited.
Meet at 849 Charlotteville Road 1, St. Willliams. (It could also be found as 849 Concession Road 1). This is a large sand parking area visible from the road less than a km. west of Turkey Point Road. For more information contact: Terry Schwan 519.362.2098 or